Cephalic vein aneurysms are rare malformations that may develop in any part of the vascular system, and their history, presentation, and management vary depending on their site. The etiology of venous aneurysms remains unclear, although several theories have been elaborated. Venous aneurysms are unusual vascular malformations that occur equally between the sexes and are seen at any age; they can present as either a painful or a painless subcutaneous mass. No serious complications have been reported from upper extremity venous aneurysms. Surgical excision is the definitive management for most of these. The case reported here presented with a painless and mobile, soft, subcutaneous mass that caused only cosmetic concern.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Radial nerve compression by a large cephalic vein aneurysm: case report.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 617-619
- Multiple venous aneurysm of a basilic vein.Ann Vasc Surg. 2001; 15: 485-487
- Primary venous aneurysms—case reports.Angiology. 1999; 50: 239-244
- Venous aneurysm of the cephalic vein: report of a case.Surg Today. 1998; 28: 964-966
- Presentation and management of venous aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 1997; 26: 845-852
- Venous aneurysm. An unusual upper-extremity mass.Arch Surg. 1990; 125: 124
- Venous aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 1988; 8: 182-183
- Multiple aneurysms of the cephalic vein. A case report.Angiology. 1995; 46: 265-267
- Venous aneurysms of the wrist.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2001; 26: 951-955
- Venous aneurysms of the upper extremity—a case report.Angiology. 2002; 53: 479-481
- Venous Aneurysm.N Engl J Med. 1962; 1: 1310-1312
© 2007 Annals of Vascular Surgery Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.