Thoraco-abdominal endovascular aortic repair (TA-EVAR) can be associated with platelet depletion (PD); the present study aims to evaluate PD incidence after TA-EVAR and to investigate its possible predictors and its influence on hemorrhagic complications and mortality.
A retrospective analysis of all TA-EVAR from 2010 to 2021 was performed to identify patients with PD, (reduction > 60%). Spontaneous hemorrhages considered were: intracranial or any hemorrhages requiring surgery. Risk factors for PD, correlation with hemorrhagic complications and 30-day mortality were investigated by uni/multivariate analysis.
A total of 158 TA-EVAR were considered, 35(22%) female, 86(54%) extended thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysm (TAAA) (Crawford type I, II, III), 79(50%) staged procedure, 31(20%) urgent treatment (symptomatic/ruptured). PD was identified in 42 (27%) patients and correlated to female sex, thrombus-free aortic lumen > 50mm, urgent treatment, extensive TAAA, blood transfusion >3 units and staged procedure at the univariate analysis. The multivariate analysis confirmed a significant correlation between PD and thrombus-free aortic lumen > 50mm, urgent treatment, blood transfusion > 3 units and staged procedure (odds ratio [OR]: 2.5 (95% confidence interval [CI] 1.03–7.0), P = 0.04, OR 3.2 (95% CI 1.01–8.6), P= 0.03, OR 3.16 (95% CI 1.23–7.7), P = 0.03 and OR 2.71 (95% CI 1.2–6.2), P= 0.04, respectively). Overall, 13 hemorrhagic complications occurred (8 intracranial and 5 peripheral); PD was associated with higher risk of hemorrhagic complications (9/42 – 21% vs. 4/116 – 3%, OR: 7.6 [95% CI: 2.2–26.3], P= 0.001) and a higher risk of 30-day mortality in elective cases 4/25 – 16% vs. 3/101 – 3%, OR: 6.2 (95% CI: 1.3–29.8), P= 0.03.
PD is a relatively common event after TA-EVAR and is associated with thrombus-free aortic lumen > 50mm, urgent treatment, blood transfusion > 3 units and staged procedure. Hemorrhagic complications and mortality are increased under these circumstances.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Editor's Choice - European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS) 2019 Clinical Practice Guidelines on the management of abdominal aorto-iliac artery aneurysms.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2019; 57 (Erratum in: Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg2020;59(3):494): 8-93
- Coagulation, fibrinolysis, and platelet activation in patients undergoing open and endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 54: 865-878
- Analysis of the inflammatory response in endovascular treatment of aortic aneurysms.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007; 31: 406-412
- Blood coagulation and fibrinolytic response after endovascular stent grafting of thoracic aorta.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 37: 1213-1218
- Endovascular treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 2008; 47: 6-16
- Endovascular repair of thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysms by fenestrated and branched endografts†.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2019; 56 (1): 993-1000
- The different effect of branches and fenestrations on early and long-term visceral vessel patency in complex aortic endovascular repair.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 71: 1128-1134
- Impact of previous open aortic repair on the outcome of thoracoabdominal fenestrated and branched endografts.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 68: 1667-1675
- Intracranial hemorrhage after endovascular repair of thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Endovasc Ther. 2021; 28: 897-905
- Systemic inflammation, coagulopathy, and acute renal insufficiency following endovascular thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49: 1140-1146
- Volumetric analysis of aneurysm thrombosis after thoracic endovascular aortic repair predicts postoperative changes in platelet count and coagulation parameters.J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2018; 59: 419-427
- Geometrical evaluation of aortic sac remodeling during two-step thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm endovascular repair.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020; 67: 43-51
Published online: October 21, 2021
Accepted: August 5, 2021
Received in revised form: July 29, 2021
Received: June 21, 2021
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.