- •AAA screening rate was 6.9% among 6,682 eligible patients with 1 year of follow-up in this retrospective observational study.
- •Black patients had lower odds of receiving screening compared to white patients.
- •Although PCP visit is the most consistent predictor of screening, provider screening rates are low.
- •Screening for AAA per USPSTF guidelines is underutilized with evidence of a racial disparity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A meta-analysis of 50 years of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Br J Surg. 2002; 89: 714-730
- Meta analysis on mortality of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2008; 35: 558-570
- Changes in abdominal aortic aneurysm rupture and short-term mortality, 1995-2008: a retrospective observational study.Ann Surg. 2012; 256: 651-658
- The Multicentre Aneurysm Screening Study (MASS) into the effect of abdominal aortic aneurysm screening on mortality in men: a randomized controlled trial.Lancet (London, England). 2002; 360: 1531-1539
- Population based randomised controlled trial on impact of screening on mortality from abdominal aortic aneurysm.BMJ. 2004; 329: 1259
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: single centre randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2005; 330: 750
- Fifteen-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial of ultrasonographic screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms.Br J Surg. 2007; 94: 696-701
- The Society for Vascular Surgery practice guidelines on the care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 67: 2-77.e2
- Management of abdominal aortic aneurysms clinical practice guidelines of the European society for vascular surgery.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011; 41 (Suppl 1): S1-58
- Primary Care Screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: Updated Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 2019; 322: 2219-2238
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Efficacy and Cost.Ann Vasc Surg. 2019; 54: 298-303.e3
- ALICE (All-Literature Investigation of Cardiovascular Evidence) Group. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening Reduces All-Cause Mortality: Make Screening Great Again.Angiology. 2018; 69: 205-211
- Twenty-year review of abdominal aortic aneurysm screening in men in the county of Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 56: 8-13
- Screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.JAMA. 2019; 322: 2211-2218
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Sec. 2713, Coverage of Preventive Services.
- Late diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysms substantiates underutilization of abdominal aortic aneurysm screening for Medicare beneficiaries.J Vasc Surg. 2013; 57 (1523.e1): 1519-1523
- Impact of the Screening Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Very Efficiently (SAAAVE) Act on abdominal ultrasonography use among Medicare beneficiaries.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1456-1462
- Modular design, application architecture, and usage of a self-service model for enterprise data delivery: the Duke Enterprise Data Unified Content Explorer (DEDUCE).J Biomed Inform. 2014; 52: 231-242
Policy Priorities to Improve the Nation's Health: From America's Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals. Washington, D.C.; 2016.
- Impact of the first 5 years of a national abdominal aortic aneurysm screening programme.Br J Surg. 2016; 103: 1125-1131
- Low prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm among 65-year-old Swedish men indicates a change in the epidemiology of the disease.Circulation. 2011; 124: 1118-1123
- Use of a Web-based clinical decision support system to improve abdominal aortic aneurysm screening in a primary care practice.J Eval Clin Pract. 2012; 18: 666-670
- African Americans are less likely to have elective endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 70: 462-470
- Explaining racial disparities in mortality after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50: 709-713
- Multicenter Aneurysm Screening Study Group. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms: the effects of age and social deprivation on screening uptake, prevalence and attendance at follow-up in the MASS trial.J Med Screen. 2004; 11: 50-53
- Editor's Choice - Inequalities in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening in England: Effects of Social Deprivation and Ethnicity.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2017; 53: 837-843
- Clinical Inertia and Outpatient Medical Errors.in: Henrikson K Battles J Marks E Lewin D Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to Implementation (Volume 2: Concepts and Methodology). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville2005
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening guidelines: United States Preventative Services Task Force and Society for Vascular Surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 71: 1457-1458
- Sex-related disparities in intervention rates and type of intervention in patients with aortic and peripheral arterial diseases in the National Inpatient Sample Database.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73: 2081-2089.e7
- Epidemiology of endovascular and open repair for abdominal aortic aneurysms in the United States from 2004 to 2015 and implications for screening.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 74: 414-424
- Extended screening guidelines for the diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 72: 1917-1926
The Authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.