Abbreviations:PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease), PVD (Peripheral Vascular Disease), IQR (interquartile range)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Patient-centered communication and shared decision making. in: delivering high-quality cancer care: charting a new course for a system in crisis.National Academies Press, Washington2013
- Health information obtained from the internet and changes in medical decision making: questionnaire development and cross-sectional survey.J Med Internet Res. 2018; 20: e47
- Low literacy is associated with increased risk of hospitalization and death among individuals with heart failure.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 1174-1180
- The health literacy of america's adults: results from the 2003 national assessment of adult literacy.National Center for Education Statistics, Washington, DC2006: 76
- Health literacy and mortality: a cohort study of patients hospitalized for acute heart failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e001799
- Profile of e-patients: analysis of their cancer information-seeking from a national survey.J Health Commun. 2010; 15: 712-733
- Burden of coronary artery disease and peripheral artery disease: a literature review.Cardiovasc Ther. 2019; 20198295054
- Comparative assessment of medical resource use and costs associated with patients with symptomatic peripheral artery disease in the United States.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016; 22: 667-675
- Peripheral arterial disease diagnosis and management in primary care: a qualitative study.BJGP Open. 2019; 3https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen19X101659
- Surgical intervention for peripheral artery disease does not improve patient compliance with recommended medical therapy.Ann Vasc Surg. 2018; 46: 104-111
- Critical analysis of the quality of internet resources for patients with varicose veins.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2021; 9: 1017-1024
Paris-Ann Ingledew. Navigating the internet in patient physician collaboration [Internet]. 2015. Available from: https://indigo.uic.edu/articles/thesis/Navigating_the_Internet_in_Patient_Physician_Collaboration/10919465, Accessed December 2021.
- The DISCERN Handbook: Quality criteria for consumer health information.Radcliffe Medical Press, Abingdon1998: 1-55
- Guidelines for medical and health information sites on the internet: principles governing AMA web sites.JAMA. 2000; 283: 1600-1606
- Assessing, controlling, and assuring the quality of medical information on the Internet: caveant lector et viewor–Let the reader and viewer beware.JAMA. 1997; 277: 1244-1245
Tip 6. use caution with readability formulas for quality reports | agency for healthcare research and quality [Internet]. 2021. Available from: https://www.ahrq.gov/talkingquality/resources/writing/tip6.html, Accessed December 2021.
- Patients using the Internet to obtain health information: how this affects the patient-health professional relationship.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 63: 24-28
- When do older adults turn to the internet for health information? Findings from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 1295-1301
- Trust and credibility in web-based health information: a review and agenda for future research.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19: e218
- Prepared patients: internet information seeking by new rheumatology patients.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 59: 575-582
- Health literacy and patient outcomes in chronic kidney disease: a systematic review.Nephrol Dial Transplant Off Publ Eur Dial Transpl Assoc - Eur Ren Assoc. 2018; 33: 1545-1558
- Evaluation of cancer information on the Internet.Cancer. 1999; 86: 381-390
- Evaluation of plastic surgery information on the Internet.Ann Plast Surg. 2002; 49: 460-465
- Evaluating the source and content of orthopaedic information on the Internet. The case of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82: 1540-1543
Office USGA. Medicare: communications to beneficiaries on the prescription drug benefit could be improved [Internet] 2021. Available from: https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-06-654, Accessed December 2021.
Clear & Simple [Internet]. National Institutes of Health (NIH). 2015. Available from: https://www.nih.gov/institutes-nih/nih-office-director/office-communications-public-liaison/clear-communication/clear-simple, Accessed December 2021.
Simply put a guide for creating easy-to-understand materials [Internet]. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2021. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/pdf/simply_put.pdf, Accessed December 2021.
Weiss B. Health literacy: a manual for clinicians [Internet]. 2021. Available from: http://lib.ncfh.org/pdfs/6617.pdf, Accessed December 2021.
- The impact of health literacy on shared decision making before elective surgery: a propensity matched case control analysis.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 958
- Patient-clinician decision making for stable angina: the role of health literacy.EGEMS Wash DC. 2019; 7: 42
- Shared decision making in clinical medicine: past research and future directions.Am J Prev Med. 1999; 17: 285-294
- The challenge of shared decision making among patients with lower literacy: a framework for research and development.Med Decis Making. 2010; 30: 35-44
Spatz ES, Spertus JA. Shared decision making: a path toward improved patient-centered outcomes. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2012. Available from: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.112.969717, Accessed December 2021.
- Consumer evaluation of the quality of online health information: systematic literature review of relevant criteria and indicators.J Med Internet Res. 2019; 21: e12522
- Medical youtube videos and methods of evaluation: literature review.JMIR Med Educ. 2018; 4: e3
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
Funding: This research received no specific grant support from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.