- •Retrospective data collected within the Vascular Quality Initiative (VQI).
- •Isolated statin and statin + AP therapy studied in AAA patient outcomes.
- •Most AAA patient populations under study showed significant survival benefit.
- •Statin recommendations within aneurysm treatment guidelines may need revision.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Statins: An essential component in the management of carotid artery disease.J Vasc Surg. 2007; 46: 373-386
- Statin use in patients with peripheral arterial disease.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 64: 1881-1888
- Statin therapy is associated with higher long-term but not perioperative survival after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 68: 392-399
- ACC/AHA Guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a report of the american college of cardiology/American heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.Circulation. 2019; 140: e596-e646
- ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and management of patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: Executive summary a report of the american college of cardiology/american heart association task force on practice guideline.Circulation. 2014; 130: 2215-2245
- Coronary artery disease in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm: A review article.J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2009; 50: 93-107
- Coronary artery disease in patients with aortic aneurysm: a classification of 302 coronary angiograms and results of surgical management.Ann Vasc Surg. 1986; 1: 36-42
- Routine coronary angiography in patients undergoing surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm and lower extremity occlusive disease.J Vasc Surg. 1986; 3: 682-684
Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Quality Initiative 2012 Validation Process for 100% Procedure Entry. 2012. Access site: https://www.vqi.org/wp-content/uploads/SVS-PSO-Data-Validation_0.pdf. Access date: 1/31/2021.
- The society for vascular surgery vascular quality initiative.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 55 (May): 1529-1537
- Inter-society consensus for the management of peripheral arterial disease (TASC II).Eur J Vasc Endovasc. 2007; 33: S5-S7
- ACCF/AHA focused update of the guideline for the management of patients with peripheral artery disease (Updating the 2005 guideline).Catheter Cardiovasc Interv [Internet]. 2012; 79 (Mar 1): 501-531
- Comparison of outcomes in elective endovascular aortic repair vs open surgical repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms.JAMA Open Network. 2019; 2e196578
- The prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm is consistently high among patients with coronary artery disease.J Vasc Surg. 2015; 62 (e3): 232-240
- Society for Vascular Surgery. The care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm: the Society for Vascular Surgery practice guidelines.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50 (S2): S2-49
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm and coronary artery disease: a reassessment.Arch Surg. 1981; 116: 1484-1488
- Treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk in adults: Synopsis of the 2013 American college of cardiology/American heart association cholesterol guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 160 (Mar 4): 339-343
- Adherence to lipid management guidelines is associated with lower mortality and major adverse limb events in patients undergoing revascularization for chronic limb-threatening ischemia.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 66 (Aug 1): 572-578
- ASA/ACCF/AHA/AANN/AANS/ACR/ASNR/CNS/SAIP/SCAI/SIR/SNIS/SVM/SVS Guideline on the management of patients with extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease: executive summary.Circulation. 2011; 124: 489-532
- Assessing the association between medication adherence, as defined in quality measures, and disease-state control, health care utilization, and costs in a retrospective database analysis of Medicare supplemental beneficiaries using statin medications.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2020; 26: 1529-1537
- Pleiotropic Effects of Statins on the Cardiovascular System.Circulation Research. 120. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2017: 229-243
- Statins for neuroprotection in spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurology. 2019; 93: 1056-1066
- Statins alter neutrophil migration by modulating cellular Rho activity–a potential mechanism for statins-mediated pleotropic effects?.J Leukoc Biol. 2009; 85: 186-193
- Vascular Study Group of New England. Perioperative management with antiplatelet and statin medication is associated with reduced mortality following vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 59 (1621.e1): 1615-1621
- Variations in abdominal aortic aneurysm care: a report from the international consortium of vascular registries.Circulation. 2016; 134: 1948-1958
- A comparison of administrative data and quality improvement registries for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73 (online ahead of print): 874-888
Conflict of Interest: The authors declare no conflicts of interest