- •Patients with pre-existing systolic cardiac dysfunction were 5 times less likely to see their arteriovenous fistula mature by one year after surgery.
- •The echocardiogram may serve an important role in the preoperative evaluation of a dialysis access candidate with pre-existing heart disease.
- •Patients requiring hemodialysis with significant pre-existing cardiac dysfunction may not be appropriate for permanent access creation, and long-term catheter use should be seriously considered as an alternative.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Projecting ESRD incidence and prevalence in the United States through 2030.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019; 30: 127-135
- Prognostic factors for arteriovenous fistula maturation.Ann Vasc Surg. 2018; 49: 273-276
- Patency rates of the arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 63: 464-478
- Effect of fish oil supplementation and aspirin use on arteriovenous fistula failure in patients requiring hemodialysis: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 184-193
- Early predictors of arteriovenous fistula maturation: a novel perspective on an enduring problem.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020; 31: 1617-1627
- Predictors of successful arteriovenous fistula maturation.Am J Kidney Dis. 2003; 42: 1000-1012
- Biological and physical factors involved in the maturation of arteriovenous fistula for hemodialysis.Cardiovasc Eng Technol. 2017; 8: 273-279
- Risk factors for early failure of native arteriovenous fistulas.Nephron Clin Pract. 2005; 101: c39-c44
- Predictors of adequacy of arteriovenous fistulas in hemodialysis patients.Kidney Int. 1999; 56: 275-280
- Disparities in fistula maturation persist despite preoperative vascular mapping.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008; 3: 437-441
- International differences in the location and use of arteriovenous accesses created for hemodialysis: results from the dialysis outcomes and practice patterns study (DOPPS).Am J Kidney Dis. 2018; 71: 469-478
- KDOQI clinical practice guideline for vascular access: 2019 update.Am J Kidney Dis. 2020; 75: S1-S164
- A retrospective review of basilic and cephalic vein-based fistulas.Vascular. 2011; 19: 97-104
- Vein diameter is the major predictor of fistula maturation.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49: 1499-1504
- Determinants of arteriovenous fistula maturation.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018; 13: 1307-1308