- •Type of research: Survey study.
- •Out of 302 active Vascular Society members in the UK 38.4% had high burnout on the CBI.
- •Resilience was high on the BRS, 75% reported that they bounce back quickly after hard times. Univariate analysis did not identify long hours as predictive of burnout.
- •High resilience among surgeons may offer some protection from burnout.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Staff burn-out.J Soc Issues. 1974; 30: 159-165
- The free clinic movement in the United States: a ten year perspective (1966–1976).J Drug Issues. 1976; 6: 343-355
- The Maslach Burnout Inventory Manual.in: Zalaquett C.P. Wood R.J. Evaluating Stress: A Book of Resources. The Scarecrow Press, Lanham, MD1997: 191-218
- To care is human — collectively confronting the clinician-burnout crisis.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 312-314
- Burnout, depression, perceived stress, and self-efficacy in vascular surgery trainees.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 69: 1233-1242
- Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1377-1385
- Burnout and distress among physicians in a cardiovascular centre of a quaternary hospital network: a cross-sectional survey.CMAJ Open. 2021; 9: E10
- Burnout among physicians.Libyan J Med. 2014; 9: 23556
- Burnout in mental health professionals: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence and determinants.Eur Psychiatry. 2018; 53: 74-99
- Mitigating burnout.Surg Clin North Am. 2019; 99: 1029-1035
- Physical discomfort, professional satisfaction, and burnout in vascular surgeons.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 70: 913-920.e2
- Professional burnout among US plastic surgeons: results of a national survey.Ann Plast Surg. 2014; 72: 346-350
- Burnout in surgeons: a ticking time bomb?.Surgery. 2020; 38: 659-663
- Vascular surgeon wellness and burnout: a report from the Society for Vascular Surgery Wellness Task Force.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73: 1841-1850.e3
- Quality of life and burnout rates across surgical specialties: a systematic review.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 970-978
- SS12. I feel your pain—a day in the life of a vascular surgeon: results of a national survey.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 69: e189
- The physical toll of working in operating rooms: a survey of the Canadian Society of Vascular Surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 70: e104
- Psychosocial work characteristics, burnout, psychological morbidity symptoms and early retirement intentions: a cross-sectional study of NHS consultants in the UK.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: e018720
- Burnout and career satisfaction among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 463-471
- Factors associated with burnout syndrome in surgeons: a systematic review.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2020; 102: 401-407
- Stress and burnout in colorectal and vascular surgical consultants working in the UK National Health Service.Psychooncology. 2008; 17: 570-576
- Longitudinal study evaluating the association between physician burnout and changes in professional work effort.Mayo Clin Proc. 2016; 91: 422-431
- Burnout and medical errors among American surgeons.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 995-1000
- Malpractice allegations against vascular surgeons: prevalence, risk factors, and impact on surgeon wellness.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 72: e32
- Physician burnout, well-being, and work unit safety grades in relationship to reported medical errors.Mayo Clin Proc. 2018; 93: 1571-1580
- Healthcare staff wellbeing, burnout, and patient safety: a systematic review.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0159015
- Changes in burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance in physicians and the general US working population between 2011 and 2014.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1600-1613
- What is resilience? Definition, types, building resiliency, benefits, and resources.(Available from:)https://www.everydayhealth.com/wellness/resilience/Date accessed: October 21, 2021
- The Copenhagen Burnout Inventory: a new tool for the assessment of burnout.Work Stress. 2005; 19: 192-207
- Self-control mediates the relationship between psychosocial strengths and perceived Severity of COVID-19 among frontline healthcare professionals of Pakistan: a single center experience.Pakistan J Med Sci. 2020; 36: S62
- The vascular surgery workforce: a survey of consultant vascular surgeons in the UK, 2014.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015; 49: 448-454
- Predicted shortage of vascular surgeons in the United Kingdom: a matter for debate?.Surgeon. 2016; 14: 245-251
- The brief resilience scale: assessing the ability to bounce back.Int J Behav Med. 2008; 15: 194-200
- A contemporary reassessment of the US surgical workforce through 2050 predicts continued shortages and increased productivity demands.Am J Surg. 2022; 223: 28-35
- The work lives of women physicians.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 372-380
- Discrimination, bullying and harassment in surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.World J Surg. 2018; 42: 3867-3873
- Intraoperative posture and workload assessment in vascular surgery.Appl Ergon. 2021; 92: 103344
- Resilience and burnout among physicians and the general US working population.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e209385
- Prevalence and risk factors for burnout in U.S. vascular surgery trainees.J Vasc Surg. 2022; 75: 308-315.e4
- Factors associated with burnout and stress in trainee physicians: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2013761
- Ethics for surgeons during the COVID-19 pandemic, review article.Ann Med Surg. 2020; 55: 316-319
- Psychological impact of COVID-19 pandemic in Western frontline healthcare professionals. A systematic review.Med Clin (Barc). 2021; 156: 449-458
- The COvid-19 vascular sERvice (COVER) study: an International Vascular and Endovascular Research Network (VERN) Collaborative study assessing the provision, practice, and outcomes of vascular surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2020; 60: 156-157
- Intervention to promote physician well-being, job satisfaction, and professionalism: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 527-533
- Resident wellness: an intervention to decrease burnout and increase resiliency and happiness.MedEdPORTAL. 2017; 13: 10651
- Interventions to reduce burnout of physicians and nurses: an overview of systematic reviews and meta-analyses.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99: e20992
- [Burnout and resilience among Hungarian physicians].Orv Hetil. 2019; 160: 112-119
- COVID-19: Peer support and crisis communication strategies to promote institutional resilience.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 172: 822-823
Data Availability Statement: The anonymized raw data supporting the conclusions of this article will be made available by the authors, without undue reservation.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Author Contributions: DWH, SR, LW and CI were involved in the conceptualization of the project and in the acquisition and analysis of the data. SA, AR, AK and FB were involved in the interpretation of the data. All authors were involved in the drafting and revising of the work for intellectual content, provided approval for submission of the contents for publication, and agreed to be accountable for the accuracy and integrity of the project.