Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology of peripheral arterial disease and critical limb ischemia.Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016; 19: 91-95
- Association of the hospital readmissions reduction program with surgical readmissions.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 243-250
- Peripheral artery disease: past, present, and future.Am J Med. 2019; 132: 1133-1141
- 2016 AHA/ACC guideline on the management of patients with lower extremity peripheral artery disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines.Circulation. 2017; 135: e726-e779
- Lower extremity bypass versus endovascular therapy for young patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012; 44: 120
- Endovascular treatment of lower extremity peripheral arterial disease.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2016; 26: 495-512
- Lower extremity peripheral artery disease: diagnosis and treatment.Am Fam Physician. 2019; 99: 362-369
- Nationally representative readmission factors in patients with claudication and critical limb ischemia.Ann Vasc Surg. 2018; 52: 96-107
- Reduced length of stay and 30-day readmission rate on an inpatient vascular surgery service.J Vasc Nurs. 2019; 37: 78-85
- Unplanned readmissions after vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 59: 473-482
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of risk factors for and incidence of 30-day readmission after revascularization for peripheral artery disease.J Vasc Surg. 2019; 70: 996-1006.e7
- The readmission event after vascular surgery: causes and costs.Ann Vasc Surg. 2016; 36: 7-12
- National trends in readmission following inpatient surgery in the hospital readmissions reduction program era.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: 599-605
- Impact of the hospital readmission reduction program on surgical readmissions among Medicare beneficiaries.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 617-624
- Unplanned readmissions after endovascular intervention or surgical bypass for critical limb ischemia.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73: 942-949.e1
- One-year readmission after open and endovascular revascularization for critical limb ischemia.Ann Vasc Surg. 2019; 61: 25-32.e2
- Burden of readmissions among patients with critical limb ischemia.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 1897-1908
- Cost effectiveness of a novel attempt to reduce readmission after ileostomy creation.JSLS. 2017; 21 (e2016.00082)
- Nurse-led postdischarge telephone follow-up calls: a mixed study systematic review.J Clin Nurs. 2019; 28: 3386-3399
- Follow-up telephone calls to patients discharged after undergoing orthopaedic surgery: double-blind, randomised controlled trial of efficacy.J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24: 2736-2744
- How to calculate risk. EBM Toolkit: BMJ Best Practices.(Available from:)https://bestpractice.bmj.com/info/us/toolkit/learn-ebm/how-to-calculate-risk/Date: 2021Date accessed: September 18, 2021
- A Dictionary of Epidemiology.6th ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford2014: 223
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
- A telephone call 1 week after hospitalization can identify risk factors for vascular surgery readmission.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 64: 719-725
- Clinical characteristics associated with readmission among patients undergoing vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 59: 1349-1355
- The hospital readmissions reduction program-learning from failure of a healthcare policy.Eur J Heart Fail. 2018; 20: 1169-1174
- Readmissions, observation, and the hospital readmissions reduction program.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1543-1551
- Three nursing interventions' impact on HCAHPS scores.J Nurs Care Qual. 2013; 28: 327-334
- Understanding discharge instructions after vascular surgery: an observational study.J Vasc Nurs. 2005; 23: 25-29
- Immediate postoperative hyperglycemia after peripheral arterial bypass is associated with short-term and long-term poor outcomes.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73: 1350-1360
- A reengineered hospital discharge program to decrease rehospitalization: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 178-187
- Reducing readmissions after pancreatectomy: limiting complications and coordinating the care continuum.J Am Coll Surg. 2015; 221: 708-716
- Telephone follow-up, initiated by a hospital-based health professional, for postdischarge problems in patients discharged from hospital to home.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; : CD004510
- Does telephone follow-up predict patient satisfaction and readmission?.Popul Health Manag. 2011; 14: 249-255
The authors D. Medina and A. Zil-E-Ali. are contributed equally as the first author.
Type of Research: Retrospective Analysis.
Key Findings: Patients who receive immediate post-discharge follow-up as a part of Transitional Care Planning after lower extremity bypass surgery are twice as less likely to be readmitted to the hospital within thirty days of the index operation.
Take Home Message: Transitional Care Planning following lower extremity bypass surgery reduces thirty-day readmission rates reinforcing the power of interdisciplinary collaborations and immediate discharge follow-up to improve postoperative care quality and potentially reducing healthcare costs by preventing inpatient readmission.
Table of Contents Summary: This single-institution retrospective analysis of 457 patients who underwent lower extremity bypass surgery presents thirty-day hospital readmission, amputation, and mortality outcomes. The study suggests that patients who received at least one post-discharge follow-up call as part of the Transitional Care Planning reduced hospital readmission rate. Our analysis also highlights that patients with a history of diabetes, smoking, and previous MI are still at risk of readmission regardless of the post-discharge call.