- •Frailty is associated with a higher long-term mortality in amputation patients.
- •RAI or mFI can be utilized to screen amputation patients for frailty status.
- •Frailty assessments can improve shared decision-making for major amputation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The intensity and variation of surgical care at the end of life: a retrospective cohort study.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1408-1413
- The incidence and cumulative risk of major surgery in older persons in the United States.Ann Surg. 2021; 10: 1097
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 722-727
- The frailty syndrome: definition and natural history.Clin Geriatr Med. 2011; 27: 1-15
- Frailty as a predictor of surgical outcomes in older patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2010; 210: 901-908
- Frailty and post-operative outcomes in older surgical patients: a systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2016; 16: 157
- Validation of a modified Frailty Index to predict mortality in vascular surgery patients.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 63: 1595-15601.e2
- Association between patient frailty and postoperative mortality across multiple noncardiac surgical specialties.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: e205152
- Association of a frailty screening initiative with postoperative survival at 30, 180, and 365 days.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 233-240
- New 5-factor modified frailty index using American College of surgeons NSQIP data.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226: 173-181.e8
- Accumulating deficits model of frailty and postoperative mortality and morbidity: its application to a national database.J Surg Res. 2013; 183: 104-110
- Impact of frailty on outcomes in surgical patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Surg. 2019; 218: 393-400
- Assessment of the risk analysis index for prediction of mortality, major complications, and length of stay in patients who underwent vascular surgery.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020; 66: 442-453
- Preoperative frailty is predictive of complications after major lower extremity amputation.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 65: 804-811
- Frailty Index associated with postoperative complications and mortality after lower extremity amputation in a national veteran cohort.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 74: 963-971
- Estimating the prevalence of limb loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 422-429
- Guest Editorial: are diabetes-related wounds and amputations worse than cancer?.Int Wound J. 2007; 4: 286-287
- A meta-analysis of long-term mortality and associated risk factors following lower extremity amputation.Ann Vasc Surg. 2017; 42: 322-327
- Development and validation of a methodology to reduce mortality using the veterans affairs surgical quality improvement program risk calculator.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224: 602-607
- Modern lower extremity bypass outcomes by anesthesia type in the veteran population.Ann Vasc Surg. 2021; 80: 187-195
- Frailty index predicts long-term mortality and postoperative complications in patients undergoing endovascular aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 72: 1674-1680
- Frailty as measured by the risk analysis index is associated with long-term death after carotid endarterectomy.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 72: 1735-17342.e3
- Multimodal prehabilitation programs as a bundle of care in gastrointestinal cancer surgery: a systematic review.Dis Colon Rectum. 2018; 61: 124-138
- Enhanced recovery after surgery: history, evolution, guidelines, and future directions.Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2017; 55: 1-11
- Enhanced recovery after surgery program implementation in 2 surgical populations in an integrated health care delivery system.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: e171032
- Enhanced recovery after vascular surgery.Front Med (Lausanne). 2018; 5: 2
- A pilot study of the enhanced recovery after surgery protocol in aortic surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 74: 90-96.e2
- Patient experience of recovery after major leg amputation for arterial disease.Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2018; 52: 262-268
- Ambulation and functional outcome after major lower extremity amputation.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 67: 1521-1529
- Assessing patient frailty in plastic surgery: a systematic review.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2021; 75: 579-585
- Is frailty associated with adverse outcomes after orthopaedic surgery?: a systematic review and assessment of definitions.JBJS Rev. 2021; 9: 1-16
- Frailty impact on postoperative complications and early mortality rates in patients undergoing radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: a systematic review.Arab J Urol. 2020; 19: 9-23
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors have no competing interests.
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
This study was presented in the poster session at the 2021 Vascular Annual Meeting of the Society for Vascular Surgery, San Diego, August 18–21, 2021.
J. Cotton and J. Cabot equally contributed as first author (co-first authors).