- •Retrospective cohort study of VASQIP database for below-the-knee amputations.
- •Comparison of resident independent cases and attending scrubbed cases.
- •No difference in 30-day postoperative mortality and operative time.
- •Length of stay and blood transfusion was higher in resident independent cases.
- •2000–2020 declining rates of resident operative independence over time.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- General surgery resident autonomy: truth and myth.Surg Clin North Am. 2021; 101: 597-609
- SCORE: Curriculum Outline for General Surgery 2016–2017.Surgical Council on Resident Education, Philadelphia, PA2016 (Available from:)http://www.absurgery.org/xfer/curriculumoutline2016-17_book.pdfDate accessed: February 21, 2021
- National and state-level trends in nontraumatic lower-extremity amputation among U.S. Medicare beneficiaries with diabetes, 2000-2017.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 2453-2459
- Mortality after nontraumatic major amputation among patients with diabetes and peripheral vascular disease: a systematic review.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016; 55: 591-599
- A prospective analysis of critical limb ischemia: factors leading to major primary amputation versus revascularization.Ann Vasc Surg. 2007; 21: 458-463
- Changes in diabetes-related complications in the United States, 1990-2010.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1514-1523
- Resurgence of diabetes-related nontraumatic lower-extremity amputation in the young and middle-aged adult U.S. Population.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 50-54
- The impact of resident involvement on post-operative morbidity and mortality following orthopaedic procedures: a study of 43,343 cases.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2013; 133: 1483-1491
- Impact of resident participation on laparoscopic inguinal hernia repairs: are residents slowing us down?.J Surg Educ. 2012; 69: 746-752
- Resident autonomy in the operating room: expectations versus reality.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 1062-1068
- Surgical autonomy: a resident perspective and the balance of teacher development with operative independence.Am J Surg. 2021; 221: 336-344
- ACGME duty hour task force. The new recommendations on duty hours from the ACGME task force.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: e3
- Resident participation in index laparoscopic general surgical cases: impact of the learning environment on surgical outcomes.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 96-104
- The influence of resident involvement on surgical outcomes.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 889-898
- Surgical resident involvement is safe for common elective general surgery procedures.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 213 (discussion 26-28): 19-26
- Hospital teaching status and outcomes of complex surgical procedures in the United States.Arch Surg. 2004; 139: 137-141
- Comparison of surgical outcomes between teaching and nonteaching hospitals in the Department of Veterans Affairs.Ann Surg. 2001; 234: 370-383
- Readiness of US general surgery residents for independent practice.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 582-594
- General surgery residency inadequately prepares trainees for fellowship: results of a survey of fellowship program directors.Ann Surg. 2013; 258: 440-449
- Entrustable professional Activities in general surgery: development and implementation.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 1174-1186
- Core EPAs for Entering Residency Pilot Program. Toolkits for the 13 Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC2017 (Available from:)aamc.org/initiatives/coreepas/publicationsandpresentationsDate accessed: January 18, 2021
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Podium Presentation at Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society annual meeting, January 27 to 30, 2022, Snowmass, Colorado.