- •A total of 144 cases were identified with 41 cases involving varicose veins, 11 spider veins, 35 thoracic outlet syndrome, 17 other venous diseases, and 40 with lymphatic disease.
- •Vascular surgeons were the most frequently identified physician defendant.
- •The majority of cases involved post-procedure complications in the management of these diseases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chronic venous insufficiency.Circulation. 2014; 130: 333-346
- Epidemiology and Morbidity of Lymphedema: Lymphedema: Presentation, Diagnosis, and Treatment.2015: 33-44
- [Health related quality of life in chronic venous disease: systematic literature review].J Med Vasc. 2017; 42: 290-300
- Psychosocial impact of lymphedema: a systematic review of literature from 2004 to 2011.Psychooncology. 2013; 22: 1466-1484
- The real cost of treating venous ulcers in a contemporary vascular practice.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2014; 2: 355-361
- Systematic review of malpractice litigation in the diagnosis and treatment of acute stroke.Stroke. 2019; 50: 2858-2864
- Jury verdicts and outcomes of malpractice cases involving arteriovenous hemodialysis access.J Vasc Access. 2020; 21: 287-292
- Medical malpractice in neurosurgery: a comprehensive analysis.World Neurosurg. 2018; 110: e552-e559
- Review of malpractice lawsuits in the diagnosis and management of aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections.Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2022; 56: 33-39
- Common reasons for malpractice lawsuits involving pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis.J Surg Res. 2020; 245: 212-216
- Inferior vena cava filter malpractice litigation: damned if you do, damned if you don't.Ann Vasc Surg. 2018; 50: 15-20
- An introduction to medical malpractice in the United States.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 339-347
- The expert witness in medical malpractice litigation.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009; 467: 383-391
- Characteristics of paid malpractice claims settled in and out of court in the USA: a retrospective analysis.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e002985
- Jury decision-making: the impact of engagement and perceived threat on verdict decisions.Psychiatr Psychol L. 2020; 27: 346-365
- Quality of life in patients with chronic venous disease: san Diego population study.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 37: 1047-1053
- Treatment patterns and outcomes in patients with varicose veins.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2016; 9: 455-465
- The treatment of varicose veins.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2007; 89: 96-100
- Ambulatory phlebectomy.Semin Intervent Radiol. 2005; 22: 218-224
- A prospective study of cutaneous nerve injury following long saphenous vein surgery.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2005; 30: 654-658
- Radiofrequency endovenous ClosureFAST versus laser ablation for the treatment of great saphenous reflux: a multicenter, single-blinded, randomized study (RECOVERY study).J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2009; 20: 752-759
- Randomized clinical trial comparing endovenous laser ablation, radiofrequency ablation, foam sclerotherapy and surgical stripping for great saphenous varicose veins.Br J Surg. 2011; 98: 1079-1087
- Comparison of endovenous laser and radiofrequency ablation in treating Varices in the same patient.J Lasers Med Sci. 2017; 8: 13-16
- Evaluation of complications after surgical treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome.Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 50: 36-40
- Current practice of thoracic outlet decompression surgery in the United States.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 66: 858-865
- Thirty-day outcomes following surgical decompression of thoracic outlet syndrome.Hand (N Y). 2019; 14: 107-113
- Thoracic outlet syndrome: a comprehensive review of pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment.Pain Ther. 2019; 8: 5-18
- Frequency and risk factors for arm lymphedema after multimodal breast-conserving treatment of nodal positive breast Cancer - a long-term observation.Radiat Oncol. 2019; 14: 39-41
- Breast cancer-related lymphedema: risk factors, precautionary measures, and treatments.Gland Surg. 2018; 7: 379-403
- Lymphedema after gynecological cancer treatment : prevalence, correlates, and supportive care needs.Cancer. 2007; 109: 2607-2614
- Lymphocoele: a rare and little known complication of anterior lumbar surgery.Eur Spine J. 2009; 18: 228-231
- Retroperitoneal lymphocele after lumbar total disc replacement: a case report and review of literature.SAS J. 2010; 4: 87-91
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy.BMJ. 2004; 328: 1330-1331
- Characteristics of physicians who frequently act as expert witnesses in neurologic birth injury litigation.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 273-279
- Medicolegal analysis of injury during endoscopic sinus surgery.Laryngoscope. 2004; 114: 1492-1495
- Salivary gland surgery and medical malpractice.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 148: 589-594
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Declarations of interest: none.
Presentation Information: Not applicable.