Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. Executive Committee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1421-1428
- “Efficacy of carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid stenosis.” The Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 221-227
- “Medical Therapy Before Carotid Endarterectomy: Changes Over a 13-Year Period and Comparison Between Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Patients.Angiology. 2018; 69: 113-119
- “10-year stroke prevention after successful carotid endarterectomy for asymptomatic stenosis (ACST-1): a multicentre randomised trial.”.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1074-1084
- “Medical (nonsurgical) intervention alone is now best for prevention of stroke associated with asymptomatic severe carotid stenosis: results of a systematic review and analysis.”.Stroke. 2009; 40: e573-e583
- “The asymptomatic carotid surgery trial (ACST-2): an ongoing randomised controlled trial comparing carotid endarterectomy with carotid artery stenting to prevent stroke.”.Health Technol Assess. 2017; 21: 1-40
ClinicalTrials.gov. Carotid Revascularization and Medical Management for Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis Trial (CREST-2). Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02089217. Accessed May 9, 2021.
- “Society for Vascular Surgery clinical practice guidelines for management of extracranial cerebrovascular disease.”.J Vasc Surg. 2022 Jan; 75: 4S-22S
- “Who benefits most from intervention for asymptomatic carotid stenosis: patients or professionals?”.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009; 37: 625-632
- “Regional market competition is associated with aneurysm diameter at the time of EVAR.”.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020 Jul 29; S0890-5096: 30602-30606
- “Market competition influences renal transplantation risk and outcomes.”.Ann Surg. 2014; 260: 550-557
Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Quality Initiative. “SVS VQI Procedures Collected.” Updated Jan 2020. https://www.vqi.org/about/vqi-procedures-collected/. Accessed Jul 2020.
US Department of Health and Human Services. “Regional Offices.” Available from: https://www.hhs.gov/about/agencies/iea/regional-offices/index.html Accessed 9 May 2021.
- “Cost of inpatient care and its association with hospital competition.”.J Am Coll Surg. 2011 Jan; 212: 12-19
- “Regional variation in patient selection and treatment for carotid artery disease in the Vascular Quality Initiative (VQI).”.J Vasc Surg. 2017 Jul; 66: 112-121
- “Effects of peripheral arterial disease interventions on survival: a propensity score matched analysis using VQI data.”.Ann Vasc Surg. 2022 Feb; 79: 162-173
- “Variation in transfusion practices and the association of perioperative adverse events in patients undergoing open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair and lower extremity bypass in the Vascular Quality Initiative.”.Ann Vasc Surg. 2018 Jan; 46: 1-16
- “In-hospital outcomes of transcarotid artery revascularization and carotid endarterectomy in the Society of Vascular Surgery Quality Initiative.”.J Vasc Surg. 2020 Jan; 71: 87-95
- “Overuse of early peripheral vascular interventions for claudication.”.J Vasc Surg. 2020 Jan; 71: 121-130.e1
- “Low-grade carotid stenosis: looking beyond the lumen with MRI.”.Stroke. 2005 Oct; 36: 2504-2513
- “How to identify which patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis could benefit from endarterectomy or stenting.”.Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2018 Jun; 3: 92-100
- “Comparative effectiveness of carotid endarterectomy vs. initial medical therapy in patients with asymptomatic carotid stenosis.”.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77: 1110-1121
- “Process of care for carotid endarterectomy: perioperativ medical management.”.J Vasc Surg. 2010 Jul; 52: 223-231
- “Regional variation in patient outcomes in carotid artery disease treatment in the Vascular Quality Initiative.”.J Vasc Surg. 2018 Sep; 68: 749-759
- “Regional variation in carotid artery stenting and endarterectomy in the Medicare population.”.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010 Jan; 3: 15-24
- “Carotid artery stenting has increased rates of postprocedure stroke, death, and resource utilization than does carotid endarterectomy in the United States, 2005.”.J Vasc Surg. 2008 Dec; 48: 1442-1450
- “Carotid endarterectomy and carotid stenting in the US Medicare population, 1999-2014.”.JAMA. 2017 Sep; 318: 1035-1046
CMS.gov. Carotid artery stenting: CAG-00085R. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-decision-memo.aspx?NCAId=157&ver=29&NcaName=Carotid+Artery+Stenting+(1st+Recon). Accessed Feb 16 2022.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Prepared for the 2022 Vascular and Endovascular Surgical Society Winter Meeting, Snowmass, CO
Author conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest or relevant financial relationships to disclose. This work did not receive specific grant funding from any public or private institution or individual.
Author contributions: RS and CWH conceived and designed the study. Statistical analysis was carried out by CMH, and the results analyzed and interpreted by RS, CMH, DZ, CA, JB, GW and CWH. The article was written by RS and all authors approved the final manuscript. Overall responsibility for this work is assumed by CWH as senior author.