- •Rib resection in TOS can result in significant postoperative pain
- •Anesthetic infusion pleural catheter placement reduces postoperative opioid use
- •Anesthetic catheter use during hospitalization reduces discharge opioid prescribing
- •Anesthetic catheters should be the primary pain treatment after rib resection in TOS
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Reporting standards of the Society for Vascular Surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome: Executive summary.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 64: 797-802
- Outcome of Surgical Treatment for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Ann Vasc Surg. 2017; 40: 303-326
- Current practice of thoracic outlet decompression surgery in the United States.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 66: 858-865
- Postoperative Pain Management following Thoracic Outlet Decompression.Ann Vasc Surg. 2017; 44: 241-244
- Surgical treatment of thoracic outlet compression syndromes: diagnostic considerations and transaxillary first rib resection.Ann Vasc Surg. 1997; 11: 315-323
- Opioid Consumption after Carotid Revascularization.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020; 62: 114-118 e1
- Postdischarge Opioid Use after Lower Extremity Bypass Surgery.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020;
- Evaluation of Opioid Prescription and Consumption Habits Following Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair.Ann Vasc Surg. 2021;
- Management of Postoperative Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists' Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive Committee, and Administrative Council.J Pain. 2016; 17: 131-157
- T1, T2 paraverterbal blocks provide opioid sparing in first rib resection for thoracic outlet syndrome.J Clin Anesth. 2018; 45: 4-5
- Use of general anesthetic only vs general anesthetic combined with paravertebral block for perioperative pain management after first rib resection.Proc (Baylor Univ Med Cent). 2002; 15: 374-375
- T1 Paravertebral Catheter for Postoperative Pain Management After First Rib Resection for Venous Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: A Case Report.A A Pract. 2018; 11: 1-3
- Interfascial Plane Blocks Reduce Postoperative Pain and Morphine Consumption in Thoracic Outlet Decompression.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020; 66: 301-308
- Diagnosis and treatment of effort-induced thrombosis of the axillary subclavian vein due to venous thoracic outlet syndrome.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2016; 4: 485-500
Thoracic outlet syndrome: Springer; 2013 2013 Jan 1
- Intermittent infusion of 0.25% bupivacaine through an intrapleural catheter for post-thoracotomy pain relief.The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2004; 77: 284-288
- Postoperative pain relief using intermittent intrapleural analgesia following thoracoscopic anterior correction for progressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.Scoliosis. 2013; 8: 18
Opioid Prescribing Recommendations [updated 2022. Available from: https://michigan-open.org/prescribing-recommendations/.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Vascular and Endovascular Surgical Society Spring Meeting in conjunction with the Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Annual Meeting, 18 August 2021, San Diego, CA.
Declarations of Interest: None.
Funding: This work was supported by the Society for Vascular Surgery Foundation Student Research Fellowship.