- •The United Kingdom has a shortage of vascular surgeons
- •Current ratio of vascular surgeon to capita population is 1 per 128,951
- •An estimated 800 consultants required by 2030 to keep up with workload demands
- •Increase in national training numbers urgently needed
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Anonymous. Ageing and Health World Health Organization [Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health.
- The aging population and its impact on the surgery workforce.Ann Surg. 2003; 238: 170-177
- Comparison of global estimates of prevalence and risk factors for peripheral artery disease in 2000 and 2010: a systematic review and analysis.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1329-1340
- The Vascular Surgery Workforce: A Survey of Consultant Vascular Surgeons in the UK, 2014.European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 2015; 49: 448-454
- Predicted shortage of vascular surgeons in the United Kingdom: A matter for debate?.Surgeon. 2016; 14: 245-251
- Predicted shortage of vascular surgeons in the United States: population and workload analysis.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50: 946-952
- Predicting the need for vascular surgeons in Canada.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 65: 812-818
- Vascular surgeons in France: an endangered species?.Ann Vasc Surg. 2012; 26: 1154-1159
Anonymous. Our History https://www.vascularsociety.org.uk/about/our_history.aspx [
Harkin D, Alzayyat S, Kiernan A, Ryan Á, Boland F, Renton S, et al. Vascular Surgeon Burnout and Resilience in the United Kingdom: A Report from the Vascular Society Workforce Committee. Ann Vasc Surg. 2022.
Waton S JA, Birmpili P, Li Q, Cromwell D, O’Neill R, Williams R, Pherwani A. . National Vascular Registry: 2020 Annual Report. . The Royal College of Surgeons of England: vsqip.org.uk.: The Royal College of Surgeons of England; 2020.
Hospital episode statistics, NHS digital. https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/data-tools-and-services/data-services/hospital-episode-statistics; 2020.
Population estiamtes, Office for National Statistics https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates: Office for National Statistics; 2020.
Ireland VSoGBa. The Provision of Services for Patients with Vascular Disease https://www.vascularsociety.org.uk2012 [Available from: https://www.vascularsociety.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Document%20Library/Provision-of-Services-for-Patients-with-Vascular-Disease.pdf.
- Trends in Consultant Posts Advertised and SPRS Completing Training in General Surgery.Bulletin of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 2010; 92: 1-4
Surgery SoV. Provision of services for people with vascular diseaase 2021. https://www.vascularsociety.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Resources/FINAL%20POVS.pdf; 2021.
Committee W. The VSBGI workforce and wellbeing report 2021. Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland 2021.
British Medical Assoication B. Medical staffing in England: a defining moment for doctors and patients. https://www.bma.org.uk/media/4316/bma-medical-staffing-report-in-england-july-2021.pdf; 2021 Accessed 15/3/22.
- An Updated Physician Workforce Model Predicts a Shortage of Vascular Surgeons for the Next 20 Years.Ann Vasc Surg. 2020; 66: 282-288
Hawkins M. A Market Analysis of Vascular Surgery Supply, Demand, Compensation and Recruiting Trends: Prepared for the Society for Vascular Surgery. . Merritt Hawkins, Dallas, TX2017; 2017.
- Global Burden of Cardiovascular Diseases and Risk Factors, 1990-2019: Update From the GBD 2019 Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2982-3021
- IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2017 and projections for 2045.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2018; 138: 271-281
- Global, regional, and national prevalence and risk factors for peripheral artery disease in 2015: an updated systematic review and analysis.Lancet Glob Health. 2019; 7: e1020-e1030
- Population-based analysis of inpatient vascular procedures and predicting future workload and implications for training.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 55 (discussion 9-400): 1394-1399
- Disparity in Availability of Vascular Specialists in Florida and its Effect on Differential Rates of Major Lower Extremity Amputation.Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2011; 54: 1864
- on behalf of the Rouleaux Club tUKvsta. Vascular surgery trainee retention in the UK: how many leave and why? A survey of trainee and Training Programme Directors’ perceptions.BMC Medical Education. 2021; 21: 241
- Burnout within UK surgical specialties: a systematic review.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2021; 103: 464-470
- Factors associated with burnout syndrome in surgeons: a systematic review.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2020; 102: 401-407
- Descriptive Study Comparing Routine Hospital Administrative Data with the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland's National Vascular Database.European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 2007; 33: 461-465
Waton S JA, Birmpili P, Li Q, Cromwell D, O’Neill R, Williams R, Pherwani A. . National Vascular Registry: 2021 Annual Report. vsqip.org.uk: The Royal College of Surgeons of England; 2021 November 2021.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Manuscript Category: Original article