Type of Research: Retrospective review of prospectively collected Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium Vascular Intervention Collaborative data.
Key Findings: Cannabis use was associated with increased opioid use at discharge (OR: 1.56, 95% CI: 1.28-1.90). Cannabis use was associated with increased amputation at 1 year (OR: 1.25, 95% CI: 1.02-1.52) after lower extremity bypass. Additionally, cannabis use was associated with decreased bypass patency at 30 days (OR: 0.52, 95% CI: 0.36-0.78) and 1 year (OR: 0.64, 95% CI 0.47-0.86).
Take Home Message: Pre-operative cannabis use was associated with increased post-operative opioid use, decreased bypass graft patency, increased amputation, and increased readmission after lower extremity bypass. Patients undergoing vascular surgery should be counseled regarding the potential negative effects of cannabis use.
Table of Contents Summary: We conducted a retrospective review of a large statewide collaborative database and found that pre-operative cannabis use was associated with increased post-operative opioid use, decreased bypass graft patency, and increased amputation after lower extremity bypass. Pre-operative cannabis is associated with negative post-operative outcomes after lower extremity bypass.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of marijuana use disorders in the United States: 1991-1992 and 2001-2002.JAMA. 2004; 291: 2114-2121
- Prevalence and correlates of marijuana use in Canada, 2012.Health Rep. 2015; 26: 10-15
- Analysis of trends in the prevalence of cannabis use in Canada, 1985 to 2015.Health Rep. 2018; 29: 10-20
- Some cardiovascular effects of marihuana smoking in normal volunteers.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1971; 12: 762-768
- Effect of smoking marihuana and of a high-nicotine cigarette on angina pectoris.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1975; 17: 549-554
- Cannabis use disorder and perioperative outcomes in vascular surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2021; 73: 1376-1387
- Cardiovascular effects of marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2018; 15: 151-166
- Acute cannabis intoxication mimicking brugada-like ST segment abnormalities.Int J Cardiol. 2007; 119: 235-236
- Cardiovascular complications induced by cannabis smoking: a case report and review of the literature.Emerg Med. 2005; 22: 679-680
- Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation following marijuana intoxication: a two-case report of possible association.Int J Cardiol. 2001; 78: 183-184
- Strokes are possible complications of cannabinoids use.Epilepsy & Behavior. 2017; 70: 355-363
- The Procoagulatory Effects of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Human Platelets.Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2004; 99: 1127-1130
- Severe pulmonary embolism in a young marijuana smoker.Kardiol Pol. 2011; 69: 1168-1170
- Cannabis-Associated Arterial Disease.Ann Vasc Surg. 2013; 27: 996-1005https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2013.01.002
- Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.Phytomedicine. 2007; 14: 333-337
- Endocannabinoids Control Platelet Activation and Limit Aggregate Formation under Flow.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9
- The French Association of the Regional Abuse and Dependence Monitoring Centres (CEIP‐A) Working Group on Cannabis Complications. Cannabis Use: Signal of Increasing Risk of Serious Cardiovascular Disorders.JAHA. 2014; 3
- Cannabis Use Disorder and Perioperative Outcomes in Major Elective Surgeries.Anesthesiology. 2020; 132: 625-635
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-IV). Washington DC. 4th ed. 1994.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Fifth edition. Washington (DC): American Psychiatric Association; 2013.
- Marijuana Use and In-Hospital Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Michigan, United States.J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2021; 14: 1757-1767
- Development of a Multicenter Interventional Cardiology Database: The Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium (BMC2) Experience.J Interv Cardiol. 2002; 15: 387-392
- Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients With a History of Cerebrovascular Disease: Insights From the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 11
- Association of a Continuous Quality Improvement Initiative With Practice and Outcome Variations of Contemporary Percutaneous Coronary Interventions.Circulation. 2006; 113: 814-822
- Marijuana-Produced Changes in Pain Tolerance. Experienced and Non-Experienced Subjects.Int Pharmacopsychiatry. 1975; 10: 177-182
- The grass is not always greener: a multi-institutional pilot study of marijuana use and acute pain management following traumatic injury.Patient Saf Surg. 2018; 12: 16
- Opioid use in patients with peripheral arterial disease undergoing lower extremity bypass.J Vasc Surg. 2022; 75: 998-1007https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2021.08.104
- Impact of marijuana on venous thromboembolic events: Cannabinoids cause clots in trauma patients.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; 89: 125-131
Park-Lee E, Lipari RN, Hedden SL, Kroutil LA, Porter JD. Receipt of Services for Substance Use and Mental Health Issues Among Adults: Results from the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. In: CBHSQ Data Review. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); 2012. Accessed December 30, 2021. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK481724/
- Effect of oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on coagulation.Thromb Res. 1980; 17: 885-889
- Cannabinoids and Atherosclerotic Coronary Heart Disease.Clin Cardiol. 2012; 35: 329-335
- Coronary no-flow and ventricular tachycardia associated with habitual marijuana use.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42: 365-369
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Cannabis Use Following Legalization in US States With Medical Cannabis Laws.JAMA. 2021; 4
Dills A, Goffard S, Miron J, Partin E. The Effect of State Marijuana Legalizations: 2021 Update, Policy Analysis no. 908, Cato Institute, Washington, DC, February 2, 2021. https://doi.org/10.36009/PA.908.
- Cannabis and coronary thrombosis: What is the role of platelets?.Platelets. 2012; 23: 243-245
- Medical Marijuana, Recreational Cannabis, and Cardiovascular Health: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 142
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Presentation Information: This study was presented at the Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery 49thAnnual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. March 20-23rd 2022.