This Vascular Roundtable took place at VAST3 2021 in Hilton Head, SC. We asked an expert panel of vascular specialists, that represent vascular surgeons and interventionalists in private, academics, and military practice three essential questions regarding physician autonomy, ownership, and the future of vascular health care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The 3 Ages of Medicine and Doctor Patient Relationship. Monogr Victor Grifols i Lucan Found. N26.Fundacio Privada Victor Grifols i Lucas, Barcelona2011
- The progression of medicine. From physician paternalism to patient autonomy to bureaucratic parsimony.Arch Intern Med. 1985; 145: 713-715
- From movement to industry: the growth of HMOs.Health Aff. 1988; 7: 197-208
- Trends in the earnings of health care professionals in the United States, 1987-2010.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2083-2085
- Trends in health care spending. American medical association.(Available from:)https://www.ama-assn.org/about/research/trends-health-care-spendingDate: 2019Date accessed: May 1, 2021
- More than a third of U.S. healthcare costs go to bureaucracy. Reuters.(Available from:)https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-costs-administration/more-than-a-third-of-u-s-healthcare-costs-go-to-bureaucracy-idUSKBN1Z5261Date: 2020Date accessed: May 1, 2021
- The deteriorating administrative efficiency of the U.S. Health care system.N Engl J Med. 1991; 324: 1253-1258
- The rise (and rise) of the healthcare administrator.(Available from:)https://www.athenahealth.com/insight/expert-forum-rise-and-rise-health-care-administratorDate: 2017Date accessed: October 1, 2022
- Health insurance issues implementing medical loss ratio requirements under the patient protection and affordable care act, 45 CFR 158. 75 FR 74863.(Available from:)https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2010-29596Date: 2010Date accessed: May 1, 2021
- Annual Report of the Board of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Insurance and Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds, Report 55.(Available from:)https://www.cms.gov/files/document/2020-medicare-trustees-report.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: May 1, 2021
- Predicting health care utilization over the decade.(Available from:)https://www.ascassociation.org/2018-sg2-reportDate: 2018Date accessed: May 1, 2021
- Reducing Medicare Costs by Migrating Volume From Hospital Outpatient Departments to Ambulatory Surgery Centers. Advancing Surg Care.2020 (Available from:)www.advancingsurgicalcare.com/advancingsurgicalcare/reducinghealthcarecosts/costsavings/reducing-medicare-costsDate accessed: May 1, 2021
- Should surgeons consider partnering with private equity investors?.Am J Surg. 2021; 222: 453-458
- Private equity investments in healthcare: an overview of hospital and health system leveraged buyouts.Health Aff. 2021; 40: 719-726
Published online: December 07, 2022
Accepted: October 21, 2022
Received in revised form: October 19, 2022
Received: September 4, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.