- •Retrospective cohort study of prospectively collected linked administrative data.
- •There was a significant increase in mortality at home, mortality prior to operation, and overall 30-day mortality for patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm (RAAA) with travel time ≥1 hr (n = 317) to vascular care compared to <1 hr (n = 250).
- •In patients who received an operation (n = 294), there was no association between increased travel time and mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
- Analysis of in hospital mortality and long-term survival excluding in hospital mortality after open surgical repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.Ann Surg Treat Res. 2016; 91: 303-308
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of population-based mortality from ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.Br J Surg. 2013; 100: 1405-1413
- Predictors of emergency department death for patients presenting with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 56: 651-655
- Effect of predicted travel time to trauma care on mortality in major trauma patients in Nova Scotia.Can J Surg. 2019; 62: 123-130
- The relationship between distance to hospital and patient mortality in emergencies: an observational study.Emerg Med J. 2007; 24: 665
- Regionalization of emergent vascular surgery for patients with ruptured AAA improves outcomes.Ann Surg. 2016; 264: 538-543
- The impact of centralisation and endovascular aneurysm repair on treatment of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms based on international registries.J Vasc Surg. 2018; 68: 937
- Impact of centralisation on abdominal aortic aneurysm repair outcomes: early experience in catalonia.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2020; 60: 531-538
- Improved survival after introduction of an emergency endovascular therapy protocol for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 2007; 45: 443-450
- Outcomes after ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in the era of centralized care.J Vasc Surg. 2020; 71: 1148-1161
- VSS abstracts.Br J Surg. 1999; 86: 703-704
- The effect of patient transfer on outcomes after rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm.Can J Surg. 2007; 50: 43-47
- Effect of patient transfer on outcomes after open repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.Vascular. 2009; 17: 9-14
- Nova Scotia [Province] and Canada [Country] (table). Census Profile. 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-316-X2016001. Ottawa.(Available from:)https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=PR&Code1=12&Geo2=PR&Code2=01&SearchText=Canada&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&type=0Date: 2017Date accessed: July 1, 2022
- Focus on Geography Series, 2016 Census. Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 98-404-X2016001.(Available from:)https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/as-sa/fogs-spg/Facts-pr-eng.cfm?Lang=eng&GK=PR&GC=12&TOPIC=1Date: 2017Date accessed: July 1, 2022
- Data Holdings.(Available from:)https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/department-sites/community-health/research/hdns/health-databases.htmlDate accessed: June 19, 2022
- Data quality documentation, Discharge Abstract Database—multi-year information.(Available from:)https://www.cihi.ca/en/dad_multi-year_en.pdfDate: 2012Date accessed: June 19, 2022
- Population and Family Estimation Methods at Statistics Canada 2016.(Available from:)https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/91-528-x/91-528-x2015001-eng.pdfDate accessed: June 19, 2022
- IP091. Transfer time may not impact morbidity and mortality for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Vasc Surg. 2017; 65: 79S-80S
- Age stratified, perioperative, and one-year mortality after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: a statewide experience.J Vasc Surg. 2006; 43: 224-229
- The post-operative mortality of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2004; 27: 65-74
- Predictors of death in nonruptured and ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.J Vasc Surg. 1996; 24: 614-623
- Resource utilization and outcomes: effect of transfer on patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms.Ann Vasc Surg. 2005; 19: 149-153
- Community and hospital outcome from ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm within the catchment area of a regional vascular surgical service.J Vasc Surg. 1999; 30: 922-928
- Part two: the case against centralisation of abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery in higher volume centers.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011; 42: 414-417
- Interfacility transfer and mortality for patients with ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Vasc Surg. 2014; 60: 553-557
- Impact of on-site care, prehospital time, and level of in-hospital care on survival in severely injured patients.J Trauma. 1993; 34: 252-261
- Time to laparotomy for intra-abdominal bleeding from trauma does affect survival for delays up to 90 minutes.J Trauma. 2002; 52: 420-425
- Urban-rural differences in prehospital care of major trauma.J Trauma. 1997; 42: 723-729
- Emergency medical services response times in rural, suburban, and urban areas.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 983
- Evaluating emergency medical service performance measures.Health Care Manag Sci. 2010; 13: 124-136
- Bi-objective approach for placing ground and air ambulance base and helipad locations in order to optimize EMS response.Am J Emerg Med. 2017; 35: 1873-1881
- Coverage versus response time objectives in ambulance location.Int J Health Geogr. 2021; 20: 32
- Hospital volume association with abdominal aortic aneurysm repair mortality.Circulation. 2019; 140: 1285-1287
- Examination of the trend in Canada toward geographic centralization of aneurysm surgery during the endovascular era.Ann Vasc Surg. 2006; 20: 63-68
- Outcome following endovascular vs. Open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: a randomized trial.J Vasc Surg. 2010; 51: 782-783
- Endovascular versus open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm in 15-years’ follow-up of the UK endovascular aneurysm repair trial 1 (EVAR trial 1): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2366-2374
- Endovascular or open repair strategy for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: 30 day outcomes from IMPROVE randomised trial.BMJ. 2014; 348: f7661
- SVS practice guidelines for the care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm: executive summary.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50: 880-896
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 281
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in Canada: review and position statement of the Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery.J Vasc Surg. 2007; 45: 1268-1276.e5
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening: a systematic review and meta-analysis of efficacy and cost.Ann Vasc Surg. 2019; 54: 298-303.e3
- Rural hospitals face a higher burden of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm and are more likely to transfer patients for emergent repair.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 1061-1067
- Understanding the effects of tobacco smoke on the pathogenesis of aortic aneurysm.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013; 33: 1473-1477
- Impact of chronic kidney disease on outcomes after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Surg. 2012; 56: 1206-1213
Health Data Nova Scotia Disclaimer: The data used in this report were made available by HDNS of Dalhousie University. The observations and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not represent those of either HDNS or the Department of Health and Wellness.
Declarations of interest: None.
Funding sources: This study was funded by the Dalhousie University Department of Surgery SEED Grant (Award #1021948). The funding source did not have any role or input in study design; in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; and in the decision to submit the article for publication.
Author contributions: Samuel Jessula, Claudia Cote, Patrick Casey, Matthew Smith and Christine Herman designed the study. Claudia Cote and Christine Herman obtained the data and appropriate linkage across databases. Samuel Jessula, Claudia Cote, Gavin Tansley and Christine Herman analyzed the data. Samuel Jessula, Claudia Cote, Matthew Cooper, Garrett McDougall, Matthew Kivell, Young Kim, Patrick Casey, Matthew Smith and Christine Herman drafted and edited the manuscript.
Presentation Information: This study was presented as a podium presentation at the 2021 Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery (CSVS) Annual Meeting as well as in the Poster section at the 2021 Eastern Vascular Society (EVS) Annual Meeting in Charleston, SC.