- •Free jejunal graft is a safe and effective method for pharyngo laryngo esophagectomy.
- •Early graft failure was observed in 6 patients (6.7%).
- •The cause of graft failure was congestion in all cases.
- •Postoperative anticoagulation therapy may be effective in preventing free jejunal graft necrosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
- Immediate reconstruction of the cervical esophagus by a revascularized isolated jejunal segment.Ann Surg. 1959; 149: 162-171
- Jejunum interposition after cervical esophageal resection.Dis Esophagus. 2001; 14: 13-16
- A retrospective study of 66 esophageal reconstructions using microvascular anastomoses: problems and our methods for atypical cases.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 94 (discussion 285): 277-284
- Microvascular reconstruction of the pharyngoesophagus with free jejunal graft.Microsurgery. 1998; 9: 116-127
- Reconstruction of the laryngopharynx and cervical esophagus.Laryngoscope. 1984; 94: 1334-1350
- Surgical treatment of hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal cancer.World J Surg. 1981; 5: 499-507
- Primary esophageal reconstruction after resection of the cancer in the hypopharynx or cervical esophagus: comparison of free forearm skin tube flap, free jejunal transplantation and pull-through esophagectomy.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 1987; 17: 255-261
- Functional evaluation of pharyngoesophageal reconstructive techniques.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1987; 113: 40-44
- Jejunal free autograft: analysis of complications and their resolution.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989; 84 (discussion 596): 589-595
- Ten years experience with the free jejunal autograft.Am J Surg. 1987; 154: 394-398
- Reconstruction with free jejunal autograft after pharyngolaryngoesophagectomy.Ann Thorac Surg. 1994; 57 (discussion 117): 112-117
- Comparison of free jejunal graft with gastric pull-up reconstruction after resection of hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal carcinoma.Dis Esophagus. 2008; 21: 340-345
- Limited resection and free jejunal graft interposition for squamous cell carcinoma of the cervical oesophagus.Br J Surg. 2009; 96: 258-266
- Free jejunal graft for hypopharyngeal and esophageal reconstruction.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2004; 389: 387-390
- Functional results following pharyngolaryngooesophagectomy with free jejunal graft reconstruction.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001; 19: 406-410
- Monitoring of oxidative stress after experimental small bowel autotransplantation.Magy Seb. 2001; 54: 60-64
- Standardization of free jejunum transfer after total pharyngolaryngoesophagectomy.Laryngoscope. 2006; 116: 976-981
- Surgical management of carcinoma of the hypopharynx and cervical esophagus: analysis of 209 cases.Arch Surg. 2001; 136: 1164-1170
- Jejunal graft conduits after esophagectomy.J Thorac Dis. 2014; 6 Suppl 3: S333-S340
- Free jejunal graft for reconstruction of defects in the hypopharynx and cervical esophagus following the cancer resections.J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13: 1368-1372
The first and second authors equally contributed.
Disclosure: There is no conflict of interest to be disclosed with respect to this article.
Data Access Statement: The data that support this article are available from the author upon reasonable request.
Author contributions: Study conception: T.F. Critical review and revision: All authors. Final approval of the article: All authors. Accountability for all aspects of the work: All authors.