We commend Raulli et al. on an important contribution to the traumatic aortic injury (TAI) literature, prefacing over 2,400 cases of TAI in pediatric patients and young adults.
1In this article, Raulli and colleagues found a considerably lower mortality rate in patients who underwent repair with thoracic endografting (TEVAR) versus nonoperative management (3.9% vs. 23.1%, P < 0.001). Based on these findings, the authors suggest that the reluctance or inability to intervene with TEVAR in the pediatric population explains the higher rate of mortality seen in those treated nonoperatively.
- Raulli S.J.
- Schneider A.B.
- Gallaher J.
- et al.
Trends and outcomes in management of thoracic aortic injury in children, adolescent, and mature pediatric patients using data from the national trauma data bank.
Ann Vasc Surg. 2022; (Online ahead of print)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trends and outcomes in management of thoracic aortic injury in children, adolescent, and mature pediatric patients using data from the national trauma data bank.Ann Vasc Surg. 2022; (Online ahead of print)
- Increased intra-abdominal hemorrhage after thoracic endovascular aortic replacement in patients with concomitant blunt aortic injuries and abdominal trauma: a national trauma data bank analysis.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2022; 62: ezac494
- Pediatric thoracic trauma mortality in Iraq and Afghanistan compared to the United States national trauma data bank.Mil Med. 2022; 187: e338-e342
- Defining acute aortic syndrome after trauma: are Abbreviated Injury Scale codes a useful surrogate descriptor?.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 977-982
- National trends of thoracic endovascular aortic repair versus open thoracic aortic repair in pediatric blunt thoracic aortic injury.Ann Vasc Surg. 2019; 59: 150-157
- Blunt thoracic aortic injury: endovascular repair is now the standard.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 228: 605-610
Published online: December 24, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.