Type of Research:
Single center, retrospective, cross-sectional study
- 1.Tortuosity index of iliac arteries was probably an age-related in normal individuals.
- 2Tortuosity index was further related to the diameter of the aortic and common iliac arteries in n patients with AAA.
- 3.Compression of vertical distance but not elongation of the iliac arteries might be the major reason behind age and AAA.
Iliac artery tortuosity is an important anatomical factor that influences the endovascular repair of aortic artery aneurysms (EVAR). The influencing factors of the iliac artery tortuosity index (TI) have not been well studied. TI of iliac arteries and related factors in Chinese patients with and without AAA were studied in this study.
Subjects and methods
One hundred and ten consecutive patients with AAA and 59 patients without AAA were included. For patients with AAA, the diameter of the AAA was 51.9 ± 13.3 mm (24.7–92.9 mm). Those without AAA had no history of definite arterial diseases and came from a cohort of patients diagnosed with urinary calculi. The central lines of the common iliac artery (CIA) and external iliac artery (EIA) were depicted. The actual length (L1) and the straight distance (L2) were measured and used to calculate the TI (L1/L2). Common demographic factors and anatomical parameters were analyzed to identify any related influencing factors.
For patients without AAA, the total TI of the left and right side was 1.16±0.14 and 1.16±0.13, respectively (p=0.48). For patients with AAAs, the total TI in the left and right side was 1.36±0.21 and 1.36±0.19, respectively (p=0.87). The TI in EIA was more severe than that in CIA both in patients with and without AAAs (p<0.01). Age was the only demographic factor found to be associated with TI in patients with AAA (Pearson’s correlation coefficient r≈0.3, p<0.01) and without AAA (r≈0.6, p<0.01). For anatomical parameters, the diameter was positively associated with the total TI (left side: r=0.41, p<0.01; right side: r=0.34, p<0.01). The ipsilateral CIA diameter was also associated with the TI (left side: r=0.37, p<0.01; right side: r=0.31, p<0.01). The length of the iliac arteries was not associated with age or AAA diameter. Reduction of the vertical distance of the iliac arteries may be a common underlying reason for age and AAA.
Tortuosity of the iliac arteries was probably an age-related problem in normal individuals. It was also positively correlated with the diameter of the AAA and the ipsilateral CIA in patients with AAA. Attention should be paid to the evolution of iliac artery tortuosity and its influence when treating AAAs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Annals of Vascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Identifying and grading factors that modify the outcome of endovascular aortic aneurysm repair.Journal of vascular surgery. 2002; 35: 1061-1066
- Iliac arterial injuries after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: correlation with iliac curvature and diameter.Radiology. 2001; 219: 129-136
- Endograft conformability and aortoiliac tortuosity in endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Journal of endovascular therapy : an official journal of the International Society of Endovascular Specialists. 2014; 21: 728-734
- Endograft limb occlusion in EVAR: iliac tortuosity quantified by three different indices on the basis of preoperative CTA.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014; 48: 527-533
- A novel method to estimate iliac tortuosity in evaluating EVAR access.Journal of endovascular therapy : an official journal of the International Society of Endovascular Specialists. 2012; 19: 157-164
- Effect of ethnicity on access and device complications during endovascular aneurysm repair.Journal of vascular surgery. 2004; 40: 24-29
- Iliac and femoro-popliteal arteries morphological CTA features as determinants of outcome after standard EVAR procedures.The Journal of cardiovascular surgery. 2019; 60: 375-381
- Development of an automated measure of iliac artery tortuosity that successfully predicts early graft-related complications associated with endovascular aneurysm repair.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014; 48: 153-160
- Adult spinal deformity and its relationship with height loss: a 34-year longitudinal cohort study.BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2020; 21: 422
- Morphological Differences in the Aorto-iliac Segment in AAA Patients of Caucasian and Asian Origin.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2016; 51: 783-789
- In vivo deformation of the human abdominal aorta and common iliac arteries with hip and knee flexion: implications for the design of stent-grafts.Journal of endovascular therapy : an official journal of the International Society of Endovascular Specialists. 2009; 16: 531-538
- The impact of endovascular aneurysm repair on aortoiliac tortuosity and its use as a predictor of iliac limb complications.Journal of vascular surgery. 2014; 60: 585-589
- Excessive tortuosity of the iliac arteries is an indication for open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Journal of vascular surgery. 2019; 70: 272-273
- The influence of thrombus, calcification, angulation, and tortuosity of attachment sites on the time to the first graft-related complication after endovascular aneurysm repair.Journal of vascular surgery. 2011; 54: 965-971
- Explaining endograft shortening during endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms in severe aortoiliac tortuosity.Journal of vascular surgery. 2017; 65: 1297-1304
- Stent-graft limb deployment in the external iliac artery increases the risk of limb occlusion following endovascular AAA repair.Journal of endovascular therapy : an official journal of the International Society of Endovascular Specialists. 2012; 19: 79-85
- Tortuous iliac systems--a significant burden to conventional cannulation in the visceral segment: is there a role for robotic catheter technology?.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2012; 23: 1369-1375
- Iliac artery kinking with endovascular therapies: technical considerations.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002; 13: 729-733
- The Efficacy of a Protocol of Iliac Artery and Limb Treatment During EVAR in Minimising Early and Late Iliac Occlusion.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2020; 60: 663-670
- Ancillary techniques to facilitate endovascular repair of aortic aneurysms.Journal of vascular surgery. 2001; 34: 69-75
Accepted: February 27, 2023
Received in revised form: January 28, 2023
Received: August 14, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Xitao Song MD, Xiaoning Zhang MD, Liqiang Cui MD, Xiaolong Liu BM, Yuexin Chen MD were all from the same institution.
Presentation information: none
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.